Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dachshund is very lathargic, drinks a little, has not

Customer Question

Customer: dachshund is very lathargic, drinks a little, has not touched his food, and may not have urinated/bowel movements today.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: lathargic- barely stands for very long. squats then lays down. tries to move when in the lap but seems not to have the energy. Can put him in front of water or food dish and he will occasionally take some water but no food.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Any changes to his breathing?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Does he seem weak from not eating? Or is collapsed?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Parents taking to vet this morning. If not satisfied with info given there, will continue with conversation. Otherwise will cancel.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

In that case, since he is going to the vet, I will refer you back to customer service.

Take care,

Dr. B.