Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a three-year-old Puggle who this evening has had two

Customer Question

I have a three-year-old Puggle who this evening has had two different size pupils. One is very very large to where you can't see much of the Iris, where the other one is much smaller. The smaller one sometimes gets bigger and then goes back down to smaller. The one with the smaller people is also red and it looks like she has a dark reddish ring between the pupil and iris. her behavior has not changed and she is acting normally. they with the smaller Pupil is watering a little. I've attached a photo... that is the largest that the smaller of the two pupils has been all night
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the pic! The eye in which the pupil is smaller must be suspected of being the abnormal one because it's watering and you're seein inflammation in the form of that "dark reddish ring" which suggests a uveitis - inflammation of the iris and its attachments - a common cause of anisocoria (unequal pupils). Trauma, infections (particularly tick-borne), and degenerative conditions in the eye can predispose to uveitis. This eye needs to be carefully examined by Andie's vet who may elect to refer her to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If she is acting normally, can she been seen by the vet tomorrow morning/afternoon?

Yes, that should be quick enough. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Andie. How is everything going?