Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 4 yr old yorkie stinks. Took her to the local vet 3 wks

Customer Question

My 4 yr old yorkie stinks. Took her to the local vet 3 wks ago, was informed she possibly had a bacteria causing odor, prescribed oral antibiotic and salicylic acid shampoo which made the scratching worse and no change with the stink. Tried vinegar rinse after oatmeal based shampoo. This seemed to help for the first 48 hrs. The odor is really bad when she goes outside to potty and comes back in the house. She also scratches alot. No visible rashes/irritations. Her diet is grain free and dye free. I am frustrated as to what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 11 months ago.

hello, my name is***** and I will help you. How long has this been going on? Do her ears smell bad too?

Does her skin feel greasy?

Does she have any moist or moist and pussy areas?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Seems worse since cooler weather. Skin does not seem oily. The vet looked at her ears and noted no lice. I really can't tell if her ears smell or not. She scratches around her ears and the back area of her front legs. The vet said her hair was oily.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No pussy areas.

OK, let's see what the possibilities are. No 1 on my list would be allergy. Since it has gotten worse in the cooler weather I would be suspicious of house dust mites. I'm allergic to them too).

In animals we don't see as much sneezing and runny eyes. Usually it is itchy skin.

When skin is damaged by constant scratching it will produce more oil which can produce that awful smell.

There are many more common allergies like food and fleas. And also skin mites like scabies and demodex

The first thing to do is put her on medication to stop the itching. We don't want to do this long term if possible because sometimes there are side effects. She should also get antibiotics if the skin is damaged from scratching or if you ever see puss.
She should have skin scapings done to rule out mites.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her ears do stink ...bad. Would benedryl help with the allergies?

Sometimes benadryl is given with other medication but it won't work well by itself.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is your opinion of her stinky ears?

Treating itchy skin is one of the most frustrating problems in veterinary medicine.

If you have a veterinary dermatologist or a veterinary school near you that is the way to go. They can do a complete exam and begin appropriate treatment.

Stinky ears are often a yeast infection that has to be treated with anti fungal medicine.

I know that it is worse now, but think back and try to figure out when she first had any skin problem. How old was she?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Finished

Did you wish to end this conversation or go on?

I'm not sure what you meant by finished.