Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is coughing & trying to bring up Phlegm. She had been

Customer Question

My dog is coughing & trying to bring up Phlegm. She had been coughing without bringing any thing up. Tonight she started coughing more frequently & began coughing up a white, somewhat frothy phlegm. What can I do for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear that Noel is unwell, hopefully this is something minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having carefully read your question through I would not be at all surprised if Noel has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound very like kennel cough.

However as kennel cough would be a front runner I will tell you a little of what I know about it ...

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. " What can I do for her? " : If the diagnosis is indeed kennel cough then it is normally not a very serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible. In the meantime something like Robitussin may help with the symptoms and may make her more comfortable, more info here including dose rates : LINK

5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.

6. Here is a link with more information on this disease : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Noel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect kennel cough ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Noel's cough has become less frequent after she expelled all the phlegm the other night. She has had her shots
For kennel cough, she is still coughing periodically, so I am going to have her see her vet if the cough continues for the next couple of days. Your advice was very helpful & put my mind at rest. Thank you again.

No problem, that sounds encouraging ...

Thanks for the update ...

Regards,

Dr Scott