Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is about 2 yrs old and has recently got a red,bare

Customer Question

Customer: My dog is about 2 yrs old and has recently got a red,bare patch of skin,completely encircling her right eye. Could this be an effect of being pepper sprayed? She is an outside dog (Alaskan Huskie). Thanks so much
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Her hair is completely gone and skin reddened around her right eye.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You've described a marginal blepheritis (periocular inflammation of the eyelids). This can arise from adult demodicosis (the Demodex mange mite), dermatophytosis (fungal infection), Malassezia (yeast) dermatitis, juvenile cellulitis (uncommon at 2 years of age), and autoimmune skin disease (pemphigus or lupus/unlikely if just one eye is involved). It's relatively straightforward to clarify the etiology. Skin scrapings are taken looking for the mange mite, a cytology of the skin (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria and/or yeast), and a fungal culture. Treatment would be predicated upon finding of such testing. Can you upload a photo of her right eye to our conversation? A macro lens is best for a close-up pic. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.