Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Cocker Spaniel-low platlets. Treating with predisone now. Is

Customer Question

Cocker Spaniel-low platlets. Treating with predisone now. Is this good & how long before taking effect? Can platlet count be restored? Just started doing this.He is 7 yrs old & has a LOT of skin tags he scratches. Is this dangerous & is there a cure to stop it from happenin again? Certain type of food needed or other way to get count up?
Thanks for your help,*****@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that Bandit has been diagnosed with a low platelet count. I imagine that your vet suspects an immune mediated thrombocytopenia as the diagnosis and unfortunately prednisone and sometimes other immune suppressive medications are needed to treat this condition. CLICK HERE for more information on this disease.

It is dangerous because without platelets your body cannot clot properly and puts him at high risk of hemorrhage so getting that platelet count up is key

If he gets a cut then controlling bleeding is a serious concern and so keeping him as quiet as possible is necessary to reduce risk of bleeding.

There is no cure, the treatment is used to suppress the immune response attacking its own cells and the hope is that over time it is controlled and the medications can be tapered or even discontinued.

I personally had a dog with IMT and she recovered from it and lived many years afterwards without any further relapses but I monitored her levels regularly and minimized vaccinations in the future to reduce risk of relapse.

The medications are the only way to get the platelet count to rebound and unfortunately no food choices will make a difference but it is always best to feed a high quality organic food with no by products.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else i can assist you both today. You are definitely in my thoughts...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Here is another article that goes over the highlights of this condition:

http://vetspecialistsofrochester.com/pdf/Internal-Medicine/Immune-mediated%20thrombocytopenia.pdf

I am online just a few moments then will be exiting for a few hours and will return this evening to assist with any additional questions or clarify anything else for you both

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you