Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 10 year old Cocka-Poo and she is a rescue dog that

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Cocka-Poo and she is a rescue dog that I have had for 4 years.In the past month she has been going blind and will not take walks with me anymore.She also seems to be losing her hearing and I am trying my best to keep her safe and comfortable.Is this a usual occurrence for a cocker spaniel to lose her eyesight so fast and what causes this?
Any info you can give me would be very beneficial.
Thank You;
Midge Barger.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about your girl Midge. One of the best things that can be done at this time is to get her to your vet for an evaluation to determine the specific cause for her to be not as visual. Something may be found that can be slowed down, stopped or reversed. Could it be pigmentation on the cornea from chronic irritation from a decreased tear production? Could it be cataracts? Could it be a retinal degeneration? These are some initial ideas that I would have for her situation. As far as her decreased hearing, the most common thing there could be chronic ear issues / infections that have caused a narrowing of the ear canal. If this is the case, then treatment for it is needed.

I want to make sure I help as much as I can with any questions you have. Can you let me know what others have come up?