Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I understand that Celebrex (Celecoxib) its not specifically

Customer Question

I understand that Celebrex (Celecoxib) its not specifically approved for veterinary use but that Previcox (Firocoxib) is. They are both COX-2 inhibitors and I believe main difference in them is the species the clinical trial was done on to maximize big pharma revenue... I am asking because the cost of a 60-day supply of Previcox is $200 or $3.33 per day whereas with the generics currently available I can get a 100 day supply of Celecoxib for under $100. I would be saving almost $900 annually. Can anyone comment on this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Yes, the reason that celecoxib wasn't approved for use in dogs is that bioavailability of that NSAID was unreliable in that species. We found bioavailability to be greater than 90% in some dogs yet less than 10% in others. It was impossible, then, to determine a proper dose for all dogs. You might consider an NSAID in another class such as carprofen which is available in many generic forms. It's also available from Costco for remarkable savings. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jackson. How is everything going?