Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Again i just asked a question about my dogs open wound. My

Customer Question

This is Dana again i just asked a question about my dogs open wound. My computer froze up on me and i had to shut it down. I am on my phone now. You were sending me to a secured site
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dana, I don't see a previous open question from you. How long has the wound been present? Can you upload a photo of it to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work...not at home where i can take a pic. I can do it after work after 5:00 est. It is an open wound. Round. About the size of a quarter. Red. I do not know how long he has had it. I noticed it about a week ago. A friend told me to put neosporin on it which i have been doin for 2 days now. It doesnt seem to hurt when i touch it. He doesnt cry out or try to get away from me. My husband seems to think its cancer. It just doesnt look like something he did to himself.

Curiously, cancer was my initial thought from your description. It's an important consideration at your dog's age. I'll watch for your next post. I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would cancer be an open wound like that? He is blind and deaf as well. He eats well though. But i keep him in a crate at nite and while i am at work and he poops and pees in his bed and often lays in it. I am constantly rotating beds and cleaning him up. Now this sore. I can send you a pic later if thats okay?

Yes, in fact, non-healing wounds are expected to either be infected, neoplastic (cancerous), or both. It sounds as if he's become a difficult husbandry patient. Yes, I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a picture i think. Let me know if you received it please. I think i have come to a difficult decision...i need to let him go. I have talked to several people that care and work with dogs every day and they are telling me it's time.

No, Dana, it didn't upload. Please try again. My condolences in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its attached to my sent email. I dont know how else to do it. I clicked on "add a file" and attached the pic. I will try again. Thank you

Thank you! Yes, that has every appearance of a skin cancer. It would have to be surgically excised. It won't respond to conservative therapy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i had a feeling... thank you very much! So weird that he doesnt act like hes in any pain.

You're quite welcome. It is surprising that our stoic dogs often leave such profound skin changes alone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea he doesnt bother it at all but now my husbands bassett hound is the one that sniffed it out and made us aware. My husband had prostate cancer a few yrs ago and that hound dog wouldnt leave his crotch alone...couldnt figure out why.... then he found out he had prostate cancer. Amazing! Thank you again for your help

That is amazing but we've now recognized that we can train "cancer dogs" to detect cancers before they become obvious.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome!

Indeed! I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.