Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My miniature pinscher is acting very strange. She has kept

Customer Question

My miniature pinscher is acting very strange. She has kept me up all night moving around and can't get comfortable, her breathing is a little weird and if I try to get her to stay still she starts shaking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she may be painful. In a young small breed dog, back pain is a common sign of these vague pain signs. It's often due to a ruptured or herniated disc in the back. Most dogs are uncomfortable and reluctant to jump up or do stairs.

It may be GI upset as well. This can often look similar. Usually there is some nausea or diarrhea or decreased appetite.

I would probably just give her the night to relax and see if it resolves by morning. If not, then I would have her seen by your vet. If you want to give her something to help her sleep, you can give Benadryl. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just took her upstairs and she did fine with the stairs and tried to get her to use the restroom and I saw her squat to poop but it was too dark to see if she went or not. She won't go lay with anyone else but me and barks if we put her in her cage, this is not normal at all. She sleeps anywhere usually. She honestly doesn't seem to be in any pain and is getting around fine.

Ok, good.

I'm not sure why she's restless and panting. It may just be that she's anxious about something. I think a little Benadryl may be enough to take the edge off and get her to calm down.

If you're really worried, you could run her to an ER vet. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation, though, based on your description.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I don't have any benadryl. Is there anything else I can do to get her to calm down. What would the shaking be from?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her heart is beating really fast

There's not really anything else in the way of anti-histamines/ sedation.

The rapid heart beat is also a signs of stress/ anxiety. Dogs will normally have a heart rate ~ 100-120 beats per minute. Up to 160 is not uncommon when stressed. If > 200, then I would get her seen, as that's too high and dangerous.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What would the shaking be from?

The most common signs of stress/ anxiety/ pain in dogs are: pacing, panting, trembling, high heart rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?