Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I gave my 65lb dog a 250mg Clavamox and 650mg of coated

Customer Question

I gave my 65lb dog a 250mg Clavamox and 650mg of coated Aspirin about 4 hours ago and now she is panting heavily.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello.

Why did you give her Clavamox and Aspirin?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For a cut on her paw and pain and fever
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has had Aspirin in the past with no problem

Ok thanks.

In the future, I would just give 325 mg of Aspirin. I usually go with a lower dose of 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours. It's better tolerated by the GI tract.

The panting may still be pain or stress related. It could also be due to a fever. You can take a rectal temperature to check her temp. Normal is 100-102. If it's > 103, I'd give the Clavamox 2-4 hours and then recheck it. If it's still > 103, then I would get her seen. In that case, the fever likely need to be treated more aggressively. If there is an infected wound, it should be drained and flushed.

At this point, I'm not too worried, but that's something you can monitor tonight and see if things resolve. It may just be that she needs some time to relax and sleep it off if it's just a discomfort issue.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am a bit worried because she injured her paw on the 24th and is panting very heavily suddenly (bed is shaking) could this possibly be because I added the Clavamox?

Clavamox shouldn't cause panting. Try checking a temp and see what you get.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?