Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is a maltizoo and weighs around 10 pounds. She was

Customer Question

My dog is a maltizoo and weighs around 10 pounds. She was diagnosed with Addisons 2 years ago. Typical Addison's. She gets a percortin shot monthly and she takes a cortisone every so often. She has been constantly urinating all day but she has not been thirsty. She hasn't been drinking water.
I believe it may be just a bladder infection. Is there something I can do from home for her until tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your girl has been off today - I'll do my best to help.

The hallmark signs of bladder infection are increased frequency of urination, increased urgency, and straining to urinate. Sometimes dogs do only one of these things, sometimes they do all of them. Sometimes they can also have blood in their urine as well. In the vast majority of dogs, as long as they're eating and drinking well and acting normally otherwise, there's not much to be done with a urinary tract infection between now and when the vet opens. The vet will want a urine sample to examine tomorrow, so I'd catch that in a clean plastic container when she urinates first thing tomorrow morning. That way you'll be prepared when you take her in. You may need to either let her out more frequently or have some pee pads available to her tonight for urgent urinations overnight.

Since she's also an Addisonian dog, I would watch her like a hawk for any other sign of illness. These guys can crash quickly, especially in the face of stressors (medical or environmental). If you're seeing any other signs of illness, I'd seek emergency care. I assume when you say she takes occasional cortisone you mean prednisone, yes? If so, I'd administer the prednisone as your vet has recommended for times of stress. This dose will vary, but usually the vet labels the prednisone in such a way to let you know how much to give in times of potential stress.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Doc Sara