Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our mother is half dauchund and half beagle. She just had

Customer Question

Our mother is half dauchund and half beagle. She just had nine puppies (2 were stillborn). The weather has changed and we brought them inside the house. They are warm and being fed. Lola has a warm nose and pants a lot. She is drinking well but I don't think we have fed her enough. We are concerned about the warm nose. Is there anything to worry about?
Thanks,
Genie Kersten
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The primary concern is hypocalcemia which can occur within the first few weeks of delivery. CLICK HERE for more information and clinical signs that need to be monitored for. If she seems to fit the symptoms besides the panting or progresses this can be an emergency so please watch her and the pups very closely the next 24-48 hours

The article lists symptoms as:
Restlessness, nervousness Panting Stiffness, difficulty walking Muscle tremors or rigidity Convulsions High body temperature Rapid respiratory rate Possibly coma and death

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions. Please make sure she is being supplemented with a calcium supplement (tums works well) and if symptoms escalate please have her evaluated asap

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Appreciated the response promptly. Accepted the suggestions and willwatch her closely.

Thank you, ***** ***** happy to hear the information is helpful and hopefully she will not progress to more serious symptoms...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good afternoon, I am curious if Lola developed any further symptoms or returned to normal after we spoke? I would love an update when you are able...
​If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman