Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I was in the tourist town of Arequipa, Peru, when I got a

Customer Question

Hi, I was in the tourist town of Arequipa, Peru, when I got a cery small knick (1-2 mm) on my pinky finger from a puppy owned by a street musician (maybe a few months old, definitely not in adolescence). There was no blood but there was a little break in the skin, which I doused with Purell. I had to jump on a bus to another town (Paracas, Peru) after that incident and I'm a bit paranoid about the possibility of rabies. Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, double posted from my phone on a bad wifi network. Please cancel this question possible?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Any time you are bit by a dog that breaks the skin (even without bleeding) in a country that is not the United States or the European Union we must always assume it's rabid! Why? The simple reason is that Rabies is very common and 99.9% fatal. There are three ways to make sure that you are not exposed to this fatal virus. 1) See the veterinary records of this dog 2) Have the dog's head removed and the brain tested for rabies 3) Have the full preventative rabies shot series before 30 days post exposure or before any symptoms develop. If we do anything other than 1 of those three steps we cannot promise you did not contract rabies! Is it likely you contracted it? With no bleeding, probably not, but probably is not usually good enough with a nearly 100% fatal virus. AT this point you can take a risk and if you are fine in 30 days you'll be fine, or you can make sure you are covered by finding a way to get the rabies preventative vaccination series as soon as possible. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about ?. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan