Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a male Silky Yorkshire Terrier and there's something

Customer Question

Hey there, I have a male Silky Yorkshire Terrier and there's something wrong with him. Normally he does nothing but run & sleep, he's a very active, happy dog. But today he's shaky, moves slowly or not at all, wines in severe pain if his back legs or hips are touched and there's a milky white discharge from his penal sheathe(not semen). I gave him some Milk and Karo Syrup to try and entice a bowel movement, but nothing has happened so far. Please, what's wrong with him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that Ratchet is in such discomfort - I'll do my best to help. Keep in mind that I can't legally or practically give you a diagnosis without examining him myself but I can give you some ideas based on your description and my experience in my hospital. I would consider back or spinal pain high on my list for a dog who is very reluctant to move and whining when he is touched. In my area, we also have a lot of lyme disease, which can cause similar symptoms. I suspect that you're seeing what would amount to normal smegma at the tip of that prepuce that's just not been groomed away by him if he's not been feeling well. If he hasn't urinated recently, the smegma can also accumulate there at the tip of the prepuce. Some other less common things that could cause pain in the hind end would be severe constipation or urinary tract obstruction.

Truly, the best thing to do for Ratchet would be to have him examined by a veterinarian as soon as you're able. That's the best way to know if any of my suspicions are correct and to get him relief from his discomfort by providing appropriate treatment based on what they find on his physical examination. Until he can be seen, I would keep him from moving about too much - if this is back pain caused by a spinal problem like intervertebral disc disease (which would be quite common - it's akin to "slipped discs" in people), then exercise restriction is the #1 recommendation for at home care. The more he moves about, the more discomfort he will be in and the more potential damage he could do.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I guess I paid you for nothing, because my grandparents said the same exact thing. I do appreciate you getting back to me so soon though, thank you very much. ;-*
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Well, it sounds to me like you paid to have a quickly prepared opinion of a licensed veterinarian to compare with that of your grandparents, which I'm happy to provide. It sounds like we are all on the same page. I don't actually receive any compensation unless you signal that you're satisfied by giving me a favorable rating. We can continue to chat about Ratchet as the day progresses and you see how he's doing - I'd be happy to continue to offer my assistance if you'd find it helpful - just let me know :)

Take care.

~Dr. Sara