DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog has a soft lump about the size of a ping pone ball

Customer Question

My dog has a soft lump about the size of a ping pone ball above her anus. The vet did an aspiration test and it was benign. But the vet want to remove it. My dog is 11 years old and otherwise healthy. I don't think it is wise to put the dog under anesthesia for what amounts to my convenience. Yes, I do have to wipe her butt sometimes. But the vet keeps saying, it should be removed - so they can know for sure what it is. I don't understand why. Also, I think it is in an area prone to possible post surgical infection. So I can't tell if the vet really has my dog's best interest at heart, or that they are trying to drum up business. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I definitely understand your concern about anesthesia in an older dog. And it is clear you are looking out for the best interests of Roxy, not wanting to cause her undue pain and distress and danger for something that might juts be an eyesore. If it is directly above the anus, then it is not likely an anal gland abscess. The concern for the vet is probably that mast cell tumors and anal adenocarcinoma can be very serious and they just want to be absolutely sure that it is not one of those. Although fine needle aspirates give us some idea, they are not always 100% right just because you are taking such a small sample of cells. Here are some thoughts...

1. do nothing right now and just keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger, becomes ulcerated or is irritating her tail or the general area, then you know you need to do something about it.

2. get a 2nd opinion- it doesnt hurt to see another vet (yes it costs some money and I know that is a concern) and then you get their thoughts as well.

I dont think waiting awhile to think it over or watch how it progresses is a bad thing at this point as long as she doesnt seem to be in pain and is not having a lot of trouble defecating. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Take care.