Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogs got into the pest control spray in my back yard and

Customer Question

My dogs got into the pest control spray in my back yard and are now passing blood in their urine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that you are seeing blood in your dog's urine (hematuria) after getting into pest control spray.

There are many types of pest control spray.

Some can cause organ damage, some can cause nerve and brain damage, and some are relatively harmless to dogs and this may be coincidental.

In order to help there are a few things I need to know;

1) What are the ingredients in the spray?

2) Is is possible that they were exposed to an anticoagulant?

3) How many dogs are affected?

4) How are the dog(s) feeling otherwise? Loss of appetite? Straining to urinate? Fever? Lethargy?

5) How long ago were they exposed?

Thanks for the additional information

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr. Kara, thank you for taking your time to answer my question. I'm not sure what type of spray my exterminator uses but it's only effected 3 out of 5 dogs, 2 regularly and 1 seldom. They have a healthy appetite, high energy, with no other symptoms. It seems to be slowing up in one of the other dogs as well but I can't afford to loose even one of them. I have a 13yr old Chocolate Lab, regularly bleeding, 5 yr old Bichon, regularly bleeding, 10 yr old Maltese/Chiau mix that is seldom bleeding, 4 yr old Papp, not bleeding at all and 2 yr old ShizTsu, not bleeding at all. my great concern is for my Lab, at her age I'm afraid of anything happening to her and if this is contagious to my other dogs. This happened about 3 weeks ago when the exterminator was here but they didn't show any signs for about a week or so later. None of them seem to be down, lost appetite, lethargy, and no straining to urinate, no pain either. I should mention none of the dogs are urinating more than before. I thank you tremendously for your help and may you have a blessed day. Becky ChiltonPS. I'm not crazy.... the lab and Bichon are mine, my roommate abandoned the Papp, my finance has the 10yr old Malt/Chiau
and I rescued the ShizTsu....... I am a dog lover :)

Thank you for the further information.

I understand that you don't have the information readily available, but if you could call your pest control company and determine what your pups were exposed to that would be extremely helpful.

Without knowing what they are using it will be hard to determine whether this is related to the chemicals that they have been exposed to, or something else.

The most common toxic cause of blood in the urine with pups that feel well otherwise are anticoagulant rodenticides, such as warfarin, brodifacoum or bromadiolone.

Other possibilities of toxins that cause blood in the urine are naphthelene or bipyridyl, both of which cause damage to the kidneys and that leads to bleeding, but should also cause liver disease, damage to the heart and lungs, and possibly the nervous system.

I will be happy to help if you can give me more information about what they've been exposed to, but without knowing the agent I cannot help any further.