Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has occasionally a cough due to collapsed trachea.

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has occasionally a cough due to collapsed trachea. She got jerked pretty good running on her lease and has an occasional honk cough.
She is 38 lbs 1 year old is there an over the counter cough suppressant I can give her to aid her until the frequency calms down?
Her gums are pink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

You can give her Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Make sure it does NOT have phenylephrine. Finally, consider walking her with a harness instead of a collar.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter