Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My daughters Boston Terrier ate a rubber ball and has been

Customer Question

My daughters Boston Terrier ate a rubber ball and has been vomiting and lethargic. She has no way to pay a vet so soon after the holidays. Is there something she can do to help him at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If the ball is causing a blockage in his intestines, there is nothing she can do for him at home. This could be an emergency and he could die without surgery. If he has a blockage, the longer she waits, the worse his chances will be.

There is a chance if the ball is small enough, it will pass on its own. However, if he is not able to keep food and liquids down, he will become dehydrated so he may need supplemental fluids by injection.

If she wants to treat him at home, all she can do is try to get him to take fluids like broth and water. If he can keep that down, that is a good sign. However, I do feel it is risky just to keep him at home and monitor him.

Here is a website that lists places that may be able to help with vet bills:

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills

I would strongly advise your daughter to get her dog to a veterinarian today. Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote.

How is your daughter's dog doing?