Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Shih Tzu 19 lbs has a tumor or a cycst on s paw and all

Customer Question

My Shih Tzu 19 lbs has a tumor or a cycst on his paw and all of Banfield doctors say they cannot put him to sleep 13 yrs old. Otherwise he seems healthy, eats ok and plays ok with toys and likes to walk but growth keeps bleeding and ozing and I dont know what to do. I have paid banfield for years insurance and now when he needs help he gets none. A shot of antibotics they gave him and wrapped the paw for another additional $90.00. where do I8 take him now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history, it doesn't sound like his age is the issue at hand. Instead, I'd be suspicious that they feel that the mass is too large to remove completely such that they can close the remaining skin once they have. So, in a case like this, provided he has no signs of health issues on a pre-anaesthetic blood panel (which is highly advisable to check before any surgery on an older dog), we would be in a position where a referral to a specialist surgeon would be the next step. These are vets that have specialised just in surgery and would be the most likely to be able to remove this for your lad. You may want to see if Banfield has a specialist local to you or you can check the American College of Veterinary Surgeons HERE to find one near you.

Overall, this growth is in a terrible location for surgical removal. Therefore, since it sounds like the vets you have seen aren't confident they can remove it, a specialist would be the ideal next step here to give us the best chance of addressing this for your lad.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )