Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Dog ate coffee made of chocolate and coffee

Customer Question

dog ate coffee balls made of chocolate and coffee
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested coffee balls, made of chocolate and coffee.

Dogs are very sensitive the the stimulants found in coffee and chocolate, caffeine and theobromine. I know she may seem fine now, but that is unlikely to last. Dogs usually start to show symptoms 4-6 hours, but sometimes not until 12 hours after ingestion of a toxic amount.

Common symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased thirst, hyperactivity, restlessness, incoordination, muscle tremors, increased or decreased heart rate, and/or an irregular heart rhythm, and subsequent increased body temperature. With higher doses we can see seizures, coma, or death.

At this point it is too late to induce vomiting.

I would encourage you to have her seen on an emergency basis at a veterinary clinic so they can administer activated charcoal to block toxin absorption as well as fluids to flush out toxins and support her, monitor heart rate and rhythm and treat as appropriate.

At home in a dog her size all you can push fluids. I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. These toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

If she has a rapid or irregular heart rate or tremors or seizures it is critical to have her seen on an emergency basis.