How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14870
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate coffee made of chocolate and coffee

Customer Question

dog ate coffee balls made of chocolate and coffee
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested coffee balls, made of chocolate and coffee.

Dogs are very sensitive the the stimulants found in coffee and chocolate, caffeine and theobromine. I know she may seem fine now, but that is unlikely to last. Dogs usually start to show symptoms 4-6 hours, but sometimes not until 12 hours after ingestion of a toxic amount.

Common symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased thirst, hyperactivity, restlessness, incoordination, muscle tremors, increased or decreased heart rate, and/or an irregular heart rhythm, and subsequent increased body temperature. With higher doses we can see seizures, coma, or death.

At this point it is too late to induce vomiting.

I would encourage you to have her seen on an emergency basis at a veterinary clinic so they can administer activated charcoal to block toxin absorption as well as fluids to flush out toxins and support her, monitor heart rate and rhythm and treat as appropriate.

At home in a dog her size all you can push fluids. I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. These toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

If she has a rapid or irregular heart rate or tremors or seizures it is critical to have her seen on an emergency basis.