Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Can you give your dog soma? I belive my teacup pomeranian

Customer Question

Can you give your dog soma? I belive my teacup pomeranian (4.9 lbs), has been exposed to methamphetamine. By smoke inhalation or licking items in my son's room. He admitted he was doing great it with his friends after school.
My dog is agitated, can't stop looking around and is whimpering. His temperature is normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This urgent what can I do hear at home. I can't afford another ER bill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son was doing the drug with his friends. Apologies for my typing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
My email is***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive waited for longer than 10 mins. Why are you having me wait this long. I'm really desperate.
I just can't afford to take him to the vet. My other dog just had $5500.00 for surgery for luxating patella. I'm out of money. I need an answer now,
Please contact me ASAP.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Soma (carisoprodol) should be avoided in dogs due to its narrow range of safety. Here's a case study for you to peruse: Case summary: A 13-year-old, 25 kg, female spayed Australian shepherd presented to the emergency service after ingestion of ten to fifteen 350 mg tablets of SOMA (carisoprodol), a muscle relaxant used for back pain in humans. Toxic effects of the drug in this dog included mild sinus tachycardia, respiratory depression, seizures, and ataxia. The dog's mentation progressively deteriorated from depressed to comatose within 1 hour after admission. Treatment on initial presentation consisted of induction of emesis while the dog still had a gag reflex, administration of activated charcoal, oxygen therapy, and supportive care. The dog was discharged to the owner prior to full recovery (4 days later).

If Mufasa can't be seen by an ER, your only option is to see if a benzodiazepine such as diazepam, alprazolam, or clorazepate will be helpful. Please let me know if you still need help and, if so, if you have such a benzodiazepine at home. Please give me an update on Mufasa.