Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We got a new puppy Poodle mix 10 weeks. She has spots on leg

Customer Question

We got a new puppy
Poodle mix 10 weeks. She has brown spots on leg one on back and one on the side. It looks like brown goop but when doing reserch may be cradle
Cap. Could you explain or send pick of what cradle cap in dog looks like.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They look like brown scaley areas
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

You referred to this as goop, can you wipe it away? Does it have a bready odor?

Is the pup itchy with this?

Rather then sending pictures of possible skin issues that fit with your description (which can vary in appearance by dog), can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one area she has been licking. Irbid right on her thigh area. It doesn't seem to bother her when distracted abs playing but it does when she is laying around. The one on the leg is the one she is licking. She doesn't seem to bite it. The others are dry areas I found when petting her. Hopefully you can see the pictures. She is a poodle mix so he's hair is long hard to get a good picture. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it doesn't seem to have an odor and I did try to wipe it away and bath her. Doesn't really go away.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I do appreciate that getting a photo can be difficult. Still, based on what I can see and the lack of material wiping away, this isn't likely cradle cap (which tends to be scaly and something you can pick off) and doesn't sound to be yeasty (usually brown sticky discharge). Instead, I suspect the dark discoloration we are seeing is actually hyperpigmentation (where the skin melanocytes react to irritation --similar to why we tan when the sun "irritates" our skin). So, this tends to just be a side effect of underlying skin irritation. And I would be concerned that we do have a moist dermatitis here since the bottom edge of the affected skin in you photo looks quite inflamed.

In regards ***** ***** here, our first step would be to block her access to the area. To do so, she may have to wear an e-collar for the short term or you could try her with a small pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for her tail). Further to this, we will want to clean the area 2-3 times daily. We can use a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water) or if there is some sticky brown discharge and we want to rule out yeast, then we could use a shampoo like Malaseb (from her vets or you can purchase the regular strength version from sites like Amazon). After washing the area, we want to gently try it thoroughly and can apply an OTC antibiotic cream to it. And if it is very itchy, you could alternate with a thin layer of OTC hydrocortisone cream.

Overall, this looks like a moist dermatitis brewing with a secondary hyperpigmentation. So, the above would be our points of call at this stage. Of course, with her having multiple spots and being quite irritated (hence the licking), we may also want her vet to have a peek at this, rule out yeast for us, and start her on an oral/systemic antibiotic to treat this from the inside our and get her skin settled.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. How would she get this moist dermatitis?? Is this something you think she will deal with for some time?? Also we have only had her 3 days. Is this something the vet who checked her or the people who sold her to us should have noticed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

If it was present when you got her, then the owners should have been picked up. Their vet could have only done so if it were present at the time they checked her. Otherwise, moist dermatitis is very common and often caused by the local skin bacteria gaining access to the skin (if she has caught it or micro-abraded the skin while itching, running through grass, etc). It is something dogs can get at any time and it can worsen the more she licks it. That said, as long as we nip it in the bud for her now, we wouldn't expect this to keep causing her bother over the long term.

Take care,

Dr. B.