Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My puppy who is 16 weeks old swallowed a whole chicken bone.

Customer Question

My puppy who is 16 weeks old swallowed a whole chicken bone. She is a cocker spaniel Sheppard mix. Is this an emergency?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jacquie,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jacquie

Provided Daisy is acting normally at present then this sort of incident is rarely an emergency, most dogs even young pups will usually come through this without any great problem, but I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out. Actually that is about all you can do as it is not recommended to induce vomiting to recover solid objects like chicken bones as these sorts of sharp objects can potentially cause problems on the way back up.

2. Basically just monitor Daisy, treat her as normal and see what happens. If the dog has just swallowed these chicken bones within the last hour or so then some vets suggest that you should then feed your dog some mashed potato or a few slices of bread. You see this will serve to form round and cushion any sharp bone fragments as they pass along your dog's intestinal tract, this is logical and can be very effective. Another factor which helps in this situation is that some digestion and softening of chicken bone is very possible because of the gastric juices.

3. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. However there are no guarantees and occasionally over the years I have seen problems related to intestinal obstruction and other intestinal tract damage following dogs eating chicken bones. You would be therefore be wise to monitor your dog for any odd symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course have Daisy examined by a vet without delay if such symptoms are appearing.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jacquie,

I am just checking back in to see how Daisy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken bone ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.