How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28137
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate at around 11:30 am today he seems to be

Customer Question

Hi my dog ate chocolate at around 11:30 am today he seems to be fine. Do I need to do anything besides keeping a eye on him?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- We may be in different time zones, how many hours since he ate the chocolate?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How many ounces of chocolate did he eat?

4- Type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

5- Any symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
8hours ago he ate dark chocolate around 16 oz. he weigh is 75 pounds. Not real symptoms a little gas . But nothing else
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Friend, 16 oz of dark chocolate could be fatal to a 75 lbs dog. Typically we begin to see symptoms within the first 4 hours of ingestion. I am surprise that you are not seeing any symptoms 8 hours post ingestion.

Unfortunately at this point there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. If you are certain he ate 16 oz of dark chocolate I would have him checked by ER veterinarian tonight to check his heart. You see, one of the possible outcome is cardiac arrhythmias that lead to cardiac arrest with a fatal outcome. For this reason it is best to be on the safe side and have him examined by ER vet.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter