Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a 12 yr old. About a year ago he ran into my car door

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have a 12 yr old ***** *****. About a year ago he ran into my car door hitting his right eye. Ever since then we have kept in cleaned on a daily basis. He is short haired so really itchy is his skin during certain season.long story short he keeps taking his paw and picking at it and it keeps draining puss and blood and then some day it just looks good like it healed. So yesterday he really went at and ran into a shelf bleeding got it to stop then some clean drainage.
So now we have a small cone on his head so he can not scratch at. But it looks worse it has scabbed over but from his eye to his top lip. I just took a warm cloth to with a little stuff off.
This is my baby and still has a lot of life in he runs all day with our 10 and 2 yr old boys. He is earing and drinking good. Just concerned about the sore. Honestly he is behind in all his shots but he is a hone dog and stay in side he is a very calm ***** *****. I don't have a lot of money due to my son who 2 having special needs I quit work and my husband is the bread winner. I have been crying and crying worried about him I don't what to do I am sorry help please.
Thank you listening
Katir
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi doctor Jo ,
Thank you for helping what can do to do help him. Only thing health wise is he a vaccine reactor. Other than that it's his eye
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have warm rag and neosporin on his eye I bathe him weekly. Is there something I am missing I can send a picture
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Hello... glad you're there. I've got a lot of information to go over with you. Please give me a moment to type.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Yes. Please do send a photo. You can upload it using the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok Dr Jo just sent a picture
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Looking at it now. Thank you...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Good picture. Very helpful, thank you. I'm so sorry he's having this problem. There are a couple of different things that could look like this...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Most dogs who have an on again/off again draining lesion on his cheek like this have a dental abscess. They tend to drain out through the cheek like this, and it most often comes and goes.

His original injury could have contributed to the development of the abscess, or the abscess could have developed coincidentally.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok what's your thought. And sorry my husband is in the back round asking can we give him amoxcilion
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

It's also possible that his injury broke off a tiny piece of bone and the little splinter has subsequently died and is making a little area of infection that comes and goes.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

In either case (bone sequestrum or dental abscess) the real solution to the problem is surgical. I'm sorry... I know that can be expensive and I wish I had better news for you, but that's how those types of problems are solved.

About the amoxicillin...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Um ok.....
I know when he itches at it he can it deep and I can see the tissue. Then take warm water to clean it . He is an inside dog doesn't like getting dirtyWhat can I do
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there's nothing I can do but to surgery on him
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm afraid this website is for informational purposes only and it would be illegal and unethical for me to advise you to give your dog a prescription medication. I will explain for you, however, how antibiotics can be used in cases like this.

Most of the time a course of the appropriate antibiotic will make the draining stop for a while, but until the underlying abscess or bone sequestrum is surgically removed, the relief will be temporary.

That means the bot***** *****ne for solving this problem is that it will require going to the vet.

After a thorough examination +/- some x-rays, your vet will be able to tell you if surgery is necessary.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

When you look at the teeth inside his mouth below that area, do the teeth look completely healthy, or are they broken or decayed?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

And to answer your question... no, there is no home remedy that I can recommend that is likely to be safe or effective for solving this problem. I wish I had better news for you, but I feel it is important to be honest and accurate when providing you with information.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't see anything broken but it's swollen in there. Understand on the antibiotic stuff though
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Good.

Here's an article with some good illustrations and information about dental abscesses. Reading it may help give you a better idea of if this may be the case in your situation.

http://www.yourpetsbestfriend.com/your_pets_best_friend/2007/01/carnassial_toot.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thank you so much for being honest with I really appriciate thus thanks much for your help ibam very satisfied
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's been over a year and has gotten worse
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Yeah... I know it's hard when finances are tight, but I bet he'd feel a whole lot better if this were fixed.

In the meantime, I want you to know that you can help the wound drain by hot-packing it. I'll explain that below.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Soak a large washcloth in hot (but not burning) water and only wring it out partially. Fold it up, then gently apply it to the draining area. Hold it there for 5 minutes or until it cools of. Repeat. Do this for a total of fifteen minutes, at least twice daily. This encourages the drainage and any infection to come out. It also helps to keep the skin clean.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I've also recently come across a Facebook page with a collection of links for help with veterinary expenses. Would you like me to forward that along?
There is help available. Sometimes your local shelter can help, too.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Awsome sounds great
For how many days Dr Jo and the small cone should we keep it on there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please share also. I do or try anything I love my baby
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Hot pack the wound as long as it is draining.

Only use the cone if it seems to be helping in some way. I don't usually use one on the dogs with dental abscesses that I see. I'll usually just put them on antibiotics to clear things up until surgery can be done... no cone.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Here's that link. Don't worry that it mentions dachshunds in the title. There are resources here for all breeds.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dachshund-rescue-south-florida/resources-for-financial-help-for-veterinary-bills/10151165829365837?fref=nf

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you so much
I think I am good a lot of info and gonna try that link now and see what I can find out.Have a great night
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Excellent! Good luck with everything. I hope things work out well. Thank you in advance for your rating. I appreciate it. Have a good night.