Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 14 year old medium sized dig is in some kind of distress.

Customer Question

My 14 year old medium sized dig is in some kind of distress. Having trouble breathing. Stomach has become very hard and large. Throws up wh a t looks like a white frothy bubble. Moaning very loudly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello Larry,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Larry

So sorry to hear about Bubba's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Sad to say but the symptoms you describe are typical of congestive heart failure which is a common condition in older dogs. Of course other diagnosis are possible but I have seen may dogs present like this where the final diagnosis turned out to be heart failure. In these cases fluid build up in the chest which accounts for the respiratory distress and also in the abdomen which gives the stomach it's hard bloated appearance.

2. What to do about it? : Unfortunately there is nothing you can hope to do on a home remedy basis which will be much help. Clearly Bubba is suffering at present so you have to get him to a vet ASAP, if heart disease turns out to be the diagnosis there is an outside chance that prescription meds of various sorts could help.

Sorry I cannot give you better news ....

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Larry,

I am just checking back in to see how Bubba is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect heart problem ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.