Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 11yr old pug with diabetes.since june..He is on

Customer Question

Customer: I have an 11yr old pug with diabetes.since june..He is on vetsulin twice a day..He started with pancretitis then diabetes..BG was 600..he is on 9units 2Xdaily with meals..BG is still over 245..today he does not wat to wake up or eat..he is a late eater to begin with..it is now 4pm..still sleeping..what do I do..any suggestions..will see vet tomorrow
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He normally eats between 10am-12pm Hills w/d and I add chicken and barley and some veegies...some homemade treets that I dehydrate like chicken and fish in the afternoon..eats eight-nine hours later same as am meal and than get his shot
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: will wait..ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Has there been any luck with his eating yet?

When was his last dose of insulin?

Do you check his BG at home? If so, when was the last BG reading?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he finally woke up at 4pm..did not want to eat his normal food so I fed him an egg with some vegies and a little turkey..I then gave him his insulin..I have keto-diastixs so I checked his urine..Ketos were negative but the glocuse was still the highest reading on the stick...He went back to sleep then woke up at 12:30 am and was a little hungry..I then gave him a little more of the egg with vegies and turkey..He also had a chicken treat which I homemake with a dehydrater..I only gave him a half dose of insulin(5 units vetsulin)..he had some warter and went back to sleep..At some point this morning I noticed some vomit on the floor but I don't know when he did this..He has not yet gotten up..is very sleepy and he is not looking for food yet..It is now 10:30 am..This is the third increase of this insulin and yet his BG is always high no mater what I feed him..He lost weight in the beginning as he was overweight(27 lbs)..He is now holding at between 23 and 24 Lbs which I think is ok,,but cannot seem to control his BG..need some suggestions before I bring him back to the vet.please answer as sone as possiable.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see that he is at least eating a little today.

One more question, has he ever had a blood glucose curve run? This is a test where he has his BG checked every 2 hours over a 12 hour period.