Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7 pound dog ate 1/4 cup log cabin pancake syrup she's is

Customer Question

My 7 pound dog ate 1/4 cup log cabin pancake syrup she's is throwing up on and off for 2 hrs what can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're necesssarily constrained by how much you can do for a vomiting dog at home if for the only reason oral medications aren't likely to stay down. Profusely vomiting dogs are likely to dehydrate and become elctrolyte imbalanced which should be addressed by an on-call vet who will administer supplemental fluids and electrolytes subcutaneously or intravenously and inject both an antiemetic and antacid drug.

There's nothing toxic in that syrup and so Daisy's vomiting is likely due to ingesting so much of an unusual food. If she stops vomiting for at least two hours, it's acceptable to dose her with an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb. This can be repeated in 12 hours if need be. If drinking is inducing more vomiting, please replace her water with ice cubes for her to lick.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.