Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has 2 masses on her liver. We are going to have

Customer Question

My dog has 2 masses on her liver. We are going to have biopsies done on Wednesday. She still had a good appetite until last Thursday. Now she does not show an interest in her food. She is drinking and does not have diaarhea. She still goes for her walks. What kind of food do you recommend? Can I feed her turkey wieners or something?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog has a few masses on the liver and is having such difficulties recently with appetite.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet about possibly dispensing an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible until you get answers with the biopsies later this week

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry I did not reply before. My dog did eat the baby meat and she is going to the vet tomorrow to have a laparoscopy of her liver to see why it is enlarged and contains nodules. Thank you for your help. Margo Smith

Thank you so much for the update and very happy to hear that she ate with some options I gave...

I would be grateful if you would rate our conversation on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck tomorrow