Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2 month husky and rotwieler that has a front leg

Customer Question

I have a 2 month husky and rotwieler that has a front leg that is swollen at the knee. What can I do to help her? She has no broken bones.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I give her some dog aspirin? They are 200 mg dog aspirins?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think she could have some soft tissue damage. She's been playing very hard with my 6 month old Golden Retriever.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I believe that you're referring to her carpus (wrist) rather than her stifle (knee) of her back legs. Yes, you can administer aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food twice daily and see if the swelling abates. Soft tissue damage in the form of bruising, sprains and strains do occur in dogs. I also have to be concerned about bone disorders in growing large-breed dogs such as hypertrophic osteodystrophy which can appear as early as 2 months of age in the area you've described. If you don't see a prompt response to aspirin, please have her vet X-ray that area.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.