Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Our Lab has a deep gash in her rib area and red flesh is

Customer Question

Our Lab has a deep gash in her rib area and red flesh is showing . It happened yesterday it is not bleeding and she is acting normal. Wanting to play Want to know what to use in the wound to stop infection. Last night I sprayed it with Peroxide and was told later not to use that on her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

Absolutely, go to a vet right now. Not tomorrow or in 2 days. Trust me!

There is nothing you can do that may prevent a very serious infection or abscess from forming. If this wound was caused by any type of bite,risk for infection is seriously high. If caused by any type of metal, fencing, etc...you also run a risk of tetanus. Do not take any risk!

You must get Abby to a vet right now and get her started on immediate oral antibiotics. You can clean all you want with peroxide or dilute betadine, but it is not good enough. This wound is deep seeded with bacteria and it is going to cost you exponential more to treat it later if it gets complicated.

Very sorry to hear about the injury.

Hope that new information helps