Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is a mixed breed, spayed now 11 years. She has

Customer Question

Hello. My dog is a mixed breed, spayed bitch now 11 years. She has epilepsy (is on Pexion) and in June 2014 had 5 malignant mammary tumours removed. On Christmas Eve she didn't want breakfast...so I knew something was very wrong. I went to the vet and she had x rays. I live in Spain and it was hard to understand everything but I think what they said is that she has 3 masses, one on a lung, one on her heart, and one on a kidney. They dont know if these are tumours or fluid. They've now suggested an ultrasound to look at the kidney and heart, but she'd then need a tomography to look at the lung.
My Chippy is a rescue and has been badly abused. She is very nervous and, if I did decide to put her through the above 2 procedures, I don't understand what the treatments might then be depending on whether these masses are tumours or fluid.
I appreciate the ultrasound and tomography are non-invasive, but for Chippy a stranger (ie vet) approaching her is a traumatic experience.
Can you help me to understand what might happen surgery wise depending on what the masses are?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chippy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If there is a mass in her lungs, that could be from the malignant mammary tumors spreading to the lung. That sometimes happens with these mammary tumors. Any chance you can get the Xrays and post them here?

We normally do not do surgery for lung tumors, unless we are sure it is a solitary tumor. Metastatic tumors, ones that are spreading to the lungs from other areas like mammary tumors are rarely solitary, and surgery is not the treatment. These are usually treated with chemo or radiation therapy. A tumor or mass on the heart is even more of a concern. These are rarely operated on because of the risks for bleeding.

If she were my own dog, I would probably do the ultrasound to get a good look at the heart and the internal organs. If tumors are seen, it is possible that a needle biopsy, using the ultrasound to guide the needle, will get a diagnosis of whether this is cancer, what type of cancer, if it is metastatic from the mammary tumors or not. Ultrasound is not invasive, and she could be sedated for the procedure.

Once you get a biopsy, get a diagnosis, you can talk to a veterinary oncologist and find out your options: surgery, radiation, chemo. You can find out the prognosis with treatment, and without.

If she had 5 malignant mammary tumors, and now there is evidence of tumors on her kidneys, lungs and heart, this does not sound good. It sounds like she may have cancer spreading throughout her body. If you can find a veterinary oncologist who can communicate with you, it might be best to start there, with a consultation, before doing any more tests.

Let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer. I am so sorry you have gotten this bad news about Chippy. Rebecca

Expert:  russell-cssm replied 11 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/9gtkx-dog-mixed-breed-spayed-11-years.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

Let me know if this was helpful and how she is doing.