Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 5 year old male cavachon (neutered) has been peeing all

Customer Question

Customer: my 5 year old male cavachon (neutered) has been peeing all over the house. I noticed that the tip of his penis is very red and looks like might have an irritation. what should I do? is there an over the counter medication for this.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well, he has been urinating in random places all over the house. he has access to a dog door and has not done this in the past. so i was rubbing his belly and noticed something that i never notice, the very tip of his penis which is usually covered by the outer layer of skin and fur was popping out and it looks extremely irritated. Im thinking that he might have an infection so that is why he is urinating in the house.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i was told that i would be taken back to the original chat after i paid. now i am waiting for Barbara the vet and wondering why she was so promt when i logged on but nothing since i paid. my confidence in this service is waining
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had no intention of waiting a day for a response. I would have called my vet and left a message. my vet would respond tomorrow too for free.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry, its just that i have never used this service before and am concerned. also, a bit worried about the pup
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. Can you tell me how long this has been going on?

Is he passing a good stream of urine when he goes? Does he seem in any distress?

Is he still eating and drinking normally?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he is eating and drinking normally and he does not seem to be in distress. i noticed that he is peeing more often when we went for our walk. He would stop and pee a little and then move on and stop again and pee a little. this went on for over an hour as we walked around our downtown area. He has been urinating in my den if several different spots despite having a dog door in the den. It has been happening several times a day for 4 or 5 days. I noticed this morning that the very tip was more red than pink. I thought it might be an infection. He seems fine other than the things i have described.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Hello! I just came online and saw your question and your subsequent posts. I'm so sorry I didn't check here sooner over the holiday. Fortunately, Dr. Z has provided some additional information, but now you are again on my list.

Since your little cavachon is eating and drinking normally, then his polakyuria doesn't indicate a serious situation . . .yet.

The most common cause of his polakyuria and the redness of his penis / sheath tip is a lower urinary tract infection. This infection can lead to crystal and stone formation in his bladder, and sometimes these stones are small enough that they can pass into the urethra and partially to fully block the passing of urine from the bladder to the outside world.

The redness indicates that he has been licking the area because of discomfort, so it is necessary for him to see your vet for evaluation and probable antibiotic therapy. Your vet will want to take at least a urine sample to check for a bacterial infection. If indicated, your vet may also want to do an X Ray to see if there are any visible stones in your dog's bladder and/or urethra. Depending on the physical exam, your vet may also need to do a blood test if your dog needs to be anesthetized for diagnosis or treatment.

We can also continue chatting here too. Whichever is best for you.

I am standing by just in case you have any more questions. I hope this information has been helpful and complete for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i initially logged on I was immediately attended to and thus given the impression that i would receive a prompt response. However, it was several hours until the vet got back to me with more questions. I had reached my vet and was no longer in need of the information. I think dr. Barbara's response was ok but it was too late.

I totally understand and am sorry that we couldn't be of timely help to you. We experts come online at different times. Apparently, there were fewer of us online over the holiday weekend, but this is not the usual case. Sometimes we can respond immediately, and sometime it takes about 30 minutes.

If you do need my help to contact the support side of JustAnswer to assure your refund please let me know.

Happy New Year to you and your dog!

Dr. Barbara