Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My terrier is constipated. No days now. Vet can't see m till

Customer Question

My terrier is constipated. No BM for two days now. Vet can't see him till Mon (even tho I called in Sat morning) Gave him 1 T canned pumpkin Sat at 10 am, and 10 pm and Sun at 8:30 am. No change. How long before the pumpkin effects to appear? The dog has not eaten anything he shouldn't have. He is 10 y/o.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

It can take the pumpkin 24-48 hours to get stool moving. So, we do want to keep trying this. That said, if Toby hasn't gone for 2 days, you can also treat him with cat hairball treatment or a few millilitres of a GI lubricant (lactulose, miralax, food grade mineral oil). Any of these can be mixed into his food to help ease him passing stool. Of course, if he continues to not pass feces, strains, vomits, or has any belly pain; then we may need to have him seen by the local ER vet to make sure there is nothing caught or nothing affecting the gut (ie mass or enlarged organs compressing the gut, or masses inside the intestines) that needs to be addressed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?
nekovet