Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog 4 years old has serve red burning hot rash on her belly

Customer Question

My dog 4 years old has serve red burning hot rash on her belly legs bottom went to vet $650.00 later for steroids plus other pills no effect . Have put her on anit hipstermine tablets not working . What to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lulu. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long has she had this rash? Can you tell me what steroids were tried, what the name is ***** ***** strength? I would try bathing her in oatmeal shampoo or using this product: http://www.entirelypets.com/resisoothe8oz.html If the rash has been going on for awhile, and is not responding to steroids, I might get a sample of the rash to look at under a microscope to find out what the cause is, whether this is an allergic rash or something else. What anti histamines have you tried, and what dose? How much does Lulu weigh? Sometimes with dogs with allergies we have to try 2 or 3 antihistamines until we find one that works. If you have not tried Benadryl, you can try giving her 1 mg per pound (25 mg to a 25 pound dog) 3 times daily, or Claritin (5 mg for medium sized dog, 10 mg for large dog). Sometimes an antihistamine/steroid combination works better than each medication alone. Let me know what strength steroids you have and how much Luly weighs. If this rash is due to allergies, you can also try these supplements: probiotics, nettles, quercetin, anti oxidants and fish oil. If this rash is not due to allergies, none of these may work. In that case, a skin scraping or skin biopsy to get the diagnosis and treatment would be my next step. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have the steroid bottle they were blue. She weighs 40 kl . Anti histamine are Allersmoothe 25 I gave her 3 tonight and she is still scratching . We live in the tropics although she spends most of her time in air con . I think it's the grass when we go for walks she gets worse x
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Are the steroid pills gone, then? I would try the Bendryl or Claritin if the Allersmoothe is not working. If it is grass allergies, it may be a lifelong problem. I would consider one of the newer allergy medications like Apoquel or cyclosporine if this becomes a long term problem, as well as the supplements I mentioned. For now, I would try the oatmeal shampoo or sprays to help soothe the skin. You can also try applying a cortisone containing ointment to the rash.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
How is Lulu doing? Can I help with anything else?Let me know if you found this to be helpful.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
How is Lulu today?