Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can out Pomeranian be allergic to the saliva of a long haired

Customer Question

Can out Pomeranian be allergic to the saliva of a long haired chihauau as we thought she had kennel cough but my sisters chihauau had come again to visit and she is again coughing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, a saliva allergy is very unlikely here. As well, if it was present would be more likely to cause skin irritation as opposed to coughing. So, this isn't likely the trigger for Princess's cough.Instead, we'd have to consider if she is perhaps ingesting hair from the other dog that is irritating the throat, if the other dog has been treated or exposed to something at home (ie carpet powders, sprays, etc) that are irritating for Princess, or if she is more active when the other dog is around (since coughing can be a sign of underlying heart issues). With these in mind, to address any throat based irritation, you can try your lass with a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Or you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine). These could just soothe her throat and reduce her cough if there is directly related to the other dog. Otherwise, we'd want to consider having her heart and lungs listened to by her vet to ensure there is no underlying issue. If she is due a booster soon, that could be moved up to have her checked.Overall, this isn't likely an allergy in this situation and we'd instead have those other concerns. Therefore, you can try soothing her throat to see if she settles. But if this seems related to increased activity, then a check with her vet would be best. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)