Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How successful are fhos

Customer Question

how successful are fhos
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

For small breed dogs, FHOs are a fine option when we have hip joint based compromise (fracture, dislocation, etc). Small dogs like French Bulldogs do really well and since there are no plates, screws or complicated metalwork used for this procedure, the success rate is very high and complications are very low. In fact, most are walking on the leg within a few days. So, this would be a surgical option for a dog this size if needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What are the limitations from having no hip joint? She's 8 months old and fractured the growth plate in her socket. She had surgery immediately. She walks on it but sometimes with a limp. I'm still Leashing her in the house because she is a puppy and wants to play. On the occasion that she has tried to run.....she does pick the leg up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

There usually won't be much limitation. They tend to have as much movement with the joint as dogs with normal hip joints. This is because the muscles/connective tissues will scar in the area over time to form a faux joint in place of the original joint. This can take weeks to months for some dogs and with strengthen as it forms and she uses the leg. So, we would expect her to progressively walk better on it and stop lifting it with time. And usually they do normalize enough that people struggle to even tell they have this done.

The only caveat is that we can see arthritis be an issue in older age, but that tends to be an issue when this is done in larger breed dogs (where a hip replacement would be a better option for them). But again FHOs tend to work very well with our smaller dogs and they do tend to cope very well through their lives with this. So, it will be a case of taking things slow for her if this has just been done. Afterwards, we want to work on strengthening the muscles and faux joint (she could potentially swim once she is a few weeks post-surgery) to help her use this better as she adjusts to this.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, are they able to stand on hind legs again? She's two weeks post op so we are just going for short walks where I keep holding her back. Is it true that one leg is shorter than the other? Not sure why my vet didn't tell me about PROM etc
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That is quite early days then and we'd want to give her more time to adjust and for that faux joint to establish. So, we'd probably be thinking about PROM and swimming, 6-8 weeks post op once the body has established its new "joint". In regards ***** ***** other question, technically her leg will be shorter (since they removed the head of the femur) but once the faux joint forms, it will hold the leg the same as the other side and you won't notice any shortening when she walks. And she will be able to hop up on back legs once this all settles.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet