Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I came home from work tonight, and my dog had very bad

Customer Question

I came home from work tonight, and my dog had very bad diarrhea and foamy throw up in his cage. After I cleaned him up, he drank water, and threw that up. And has done so three more times since. Then I found a small piece of bone in some of the water he threw up. Besides being scared after he threw up, he is now acting normal. He did get a bone yesterday, but he has seemed fine until I found him in his crate. Should we take him to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I would go to the ER facility. Why?

There is already symptoms of stomach distress and the bad diarrhea, very well could suggest there is still a retained foreign body. Considering a bone fragment was already produced, you got to know if there are any more remaining pieces. Plus, the vet can initiate some really good therapies to start tackling both the stomach and intestinal distress.

Hope that information helps