How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 25144
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 10-pound dog who might have ingested most of my

Customer Question

I have a 10-pound dog who might have ingested most of my husband's namenda capsule, 28 milligrams, today or yesterday. Yesterday I noticed that she drank more water than usual. Any advice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The acute oral toxicity of this drug in dogs is low. The LD50 - the dose at which 50% of dogs died was a high 23 mg/lb or ~230 mg for Bebe. It's more likely that you wouldn't see any adverse effects at even a full 28 mg but excitation, decreased awareness and motor activity are possible. High doses did affect dogs' kidneys but even 28 mg wouldn't be considered a high dose in the toxicity studies performed in dogs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.