Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Male rascal act like something hurts s anal area but he

Customer Question

My Male rascal act like something hurts his anal area but he licks and lick it very red I used neosporen what else can I do were in middle of blistered vet is not in please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on Rascal's signs, we do have a few concerns. If you are seeing skin redness, then we do have the concern of a possible peri-rectal dermatitis. Though if he is acting painful, then it is possible that the redness is a secondary issue and that he has underlying anal gland discomfort from impaction or infection.

With this all in mind, we can take a few steps here. Now the first step is that we need to prevent him licking the area since he is only making it worse. Therefore, we need to either put an e-collar on him if you have one or can obtain one. Otherwise, we can put a small pair of boxers (turned backwards so we have a hole for his tail) on him. Next, you will want to keep this skin clean. We can wash it gently 2-3 times daily (especially after he has passed stool) with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). Afterwards, pat the area dry, and apply your Neosporin. Since its very inflamed, we can also alternate with OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe irritation and itchiness for him.

As well, to tackle allergic causes for skin irritation, you can also try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people, but not a bad thing to help him settle). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, since the glands are a worry, if you have help and he is a calm dog, you can try to express these gently for him. To see how to do so, you can watch this video HERE. It'd be ideal to have his groomer or vet do, but if you are trapped this could be tried if done with care.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for his signs. Therefore, we can use the above to help the skin while trying to address the likely underlying cause for his discomfort.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)