Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My corgi just ate an entire loaf of poppy seed bread.
,

Customer Question

Customer: My corgi just ate an entire loaf of poppy seed bread.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well...she weighs 22 pounds, and there was 1/2 cup of poppy seeds in the bread. This happened about two hours ago....and....we're in a blizzard. No getting out. 'nuff details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Poppy seeds are not toxic to dogs unless ingested in large quantities. At this weight the concern of ingestion of poppy seed bread is that she may develop an upset stomach from the fat content in the poppy seeds.

Whole poppy seeds do contain small amounts of opium, which can lead to sedation, constipation, and irregularities with breathing. However, a 22lb dog would have to ingest A LOT of poppy seeds to experience these effects. This is so uncommon of a toxicity, that I cannot find any published toxic dose levels..suggesting that the toxic dose would have to be a lot and the ASPCA lists this as a non toxic item.

That being said, if you notice any behavioural abnormalities in your dog, you should contact your local emergency veterinarian.

Tonight you can elect to induce vomiting to remove the stomach upset that is bound to occur overnight with this ingestion. This can be attempted with 2 tsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide then laps around the house or giggling the belly to mix the peroxide in the stomach. Very likely she will not bring up all the bread but with this amount and her size there is a good chance she will have delayed gastric emptying. If she does not vomit:
- Pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours
- Since you are in a snow storm please do laps around your living room to aid in digestion of the bread.
- Tomorrow small more frequent meals of bland diet including white rice and lean boiled meat
- Please limit water intake to minimize risk of bloat with this amount of bread ingestion

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your Corgi. Were there any issues after you asked your question yesterday? I would love n update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!