Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a boxer/Labrador mixed female, that is 1 year old.

Customer Question

I have a boxer/Labrador mixed female, that is 1 year old. She punctured an albuterol inhaler about an hour ago. Is there anything I need to do or should I take her to an emergency vet clinic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I have a question before I can help you, did you see the albuterol be punctured? Did she get a blast of the product?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I heard it puncture and then she ran away. She is a little lathargic, too. It was about an hour ago. She's up and walking around though.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Since she is acting a little lethargic I do think that it's emergency vet time. Albuterol has the effect of causing severe potassium changes that can be rapidly fatal. It can cause severe changes in heart rate that can lead to a heart attack. The best chance of success is if she is treated for her potassium and heart related issues as quickly as possible as symptoms can go from bad to worse all of the sudden. There really isn't anything you can do at home so I would strongly recommend you take her to the emergency vet. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.
Hi Kenyon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Noni. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan