Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Weimer Reiner he"s about 1 1/2 years really full of

Customer Question

Hello I have a Weimer Reiner he"s about 1 1/2 years really full of energy for the past day he has been laying around no energy and no appetite . a few days ago he got into my old oil bucket it's where I empty all my old oil from moror to cooking oil for recyceling I guess he smelled the cooking oil and got in to it ,that evening I noticed he throwup a few times around the yard that was on 12/21/15 the 22 and the 23 he was fine the 24 to today he's week and slobbering a bit is there i can give him thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Gabby. When he vomited did you see any oil in the vomit? Will he eat a treat or a bite of people food? Is he drinking a normal amount of water? Do you have a thermometer? How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No he didn"t eat none of his food we feed him the wilderness brand food he hasen't drank to much water today . He is about 65 to 70 lbs what kind of thermometer do i needn

Will he eat a treat or people food like lunch meat, cheese, or peanut butter?

You just need a regular human oral thermometer and some ky jelly or vaseline to put on the tip of the thermometer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No he won't take a treat or human food just tried
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Gabby for you. Please let me know if you still need help. Here's a synopsis of petroleum distillate toxicity for you: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_multi_petroleum_hydrocarbon_toxicos

As you'll read, your Weimaraner should be under the care of his veterinarian at this time unless he has completely remissed as of this writing. There's no specific antidote to this poisoning but we can provide supportive care in the form of IV fluids/electrolytes and gastrointestinal protectants in the form of antacids such as famotidine and a "liquid bandage" such as sucralfate.