Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a two and a half year old Yorkie schnauzer mix. He

Customer Question

I have a two and a half year old Yorkie schnauzer mix. He was neutered at 6 months. Occasionally he will hump his bed and get and erection. Three times that I have witnessed, he had what I consider a "full" erection. By full I mean about 5 inches long, about the size of one of his legs, very engorged, and a bi-lobed mass at the base. It lasted about 15 minutes, during which time he stood very stiffly as if in pain and growled if anyone tried to touch him. Once, the skin appear raw and bloody. It did eventually go away, but I am concerned that it might be harmful to him, especially if it happens when I'm at work and it doesn't go away. The raw and bloody skin is concerning for infection. When he was neutered, they did say one testical was undecended, but they "went in and got it." Should I be concerned? Is it possible he was not fully neutered? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Monster is doing this. Unfortunately it is more of a dominant and obsessive compulsive behavior than sexual when they have been neutered. I have a personal dog that does this and I neutered him myself so know he has no testosterone!

He primarily does it when he is anxious as a release of the energy and sometimes does it without cause. I actually have him on a supplement to help reduce his anxiety and it helps a lot, along with regular 30-45 minute walks daily to reduce the nervous/ anxious energy.

This is the supplement I use for my dog. He is 8 pounds but gets a medium/ large dog size to control his symptoms (which also includes licking everything

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=compusure+treat

The swellings you see with this scenario are the bulbourethral glands which are on the shaft of the penis and can become engorged with excitement. It is normal with even male neutered dogs to have this occur

Lastly, if he stays out/ exposed for too long then there is risk of injury to his penis and this can be an emergency. I would purchase a muzzle so that if this occurs again you can help get him back into his prepuce with lubrication. KY jelly or even vaseline can help and should be kept at home in case it is needed.

Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogs

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Monster. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman