Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has been bitten by something on s paw. There is a

Customer Question

My dog has been bitten by something on his paw. There is a small white lump and it's very sore to touch. He is not acting himself and seems very upset and sore.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Billy. I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. Is the paw swollen?

2. How long has it looked as you describe?

3. Can you take his temperature?

4. Do you think you could send me a picture of his foot? This link ( http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert) walks you through the process.

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His paw is only slightly swallen and it's only been like this for about an hour. Could it be a spider bite?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the pictures.

I suppose this could be a spider bite but it doesn't look like I'd expect if that were the case although you may have some nasty critters in New Zealand that I don't typically see in the States. It's also possible that he stepped on something and that he has a small abscess or infection which is present....or even inflammation.

Regardless, the following is what I'd suggest that you do:

1. Soak the foot for about 10 minutes or so in a warm Epsom salt bath several times a day.

2. Try to prevent him from licking at it if he starts since he may just make it worse. He may need to wear a cone although I know he won't thank me for the suggestion.

3. As long as he's not vomiting nor currently taking any steroid or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, Aspirin can be given which can help with inflammation and pain. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

4. On the off chance that this might be a bite or sting of some sort, then Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can be given although sedation may be seen as a side effect. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

If the area continues to be swollen and/or bothers him, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amanda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Billy. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Billy. How is his foot? Deb