Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a miniature dauchsound that had a tumor removal on s

Customer Question

We have a miniature dauchsound that had a tumor removal on his nose three days ago. Now he acts like he can't poop. He has been on pain meds/ anitflam meds. Could this be affecting him as I know it does humans. We just don't know what to do and our dr is in Mexico ūüėē
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, which drugs he's currently being given? Narcotics are usually incriminated when constipation arises.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Clavamox 125 mg 1 tab twice a day. Rimadyl 25mg 1/2 tab twice a day

Thank you. Neither of those should constipate. In fact, both Clavamox and NSAIDS such as carprofen (Rimadyl) can cause GI distress and so now I'm concerned that he isn't constipated but, instead, crampy and the next movement might well be diarrheic. Please describe to me what you're seeing that suggests that "he can't poop".

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is walking around puts his tail in the air and walks in a circle whining. Stomach feels hard

Thank you. We need to see if we can prompt his eliminating without additional drugs. That means a long walk unless it's storming where you live. Once we can see a movement we can know better how to help him. For now, I would stop the administration of both of those drugs - neither are critical post-op for removal of a tumor on his nose 3 days ago. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is real cold and snowing but will do our best. Thanks for your advise. Will keep you posted

You probably don't want to hear that it's sunny and 60F here in San Diego...I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?