Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate 10mg citalopram whazt should i do

Customer Question

my dog ate 10mg citalopram whazt should i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does she weigh?

How long ago did she have this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Since time is ticking and I have not hear back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts about wee Millie. Since the average weight for her breed is ~10kg, we likely have at most a 1mg/kg dose of this medication. Now this is a drug we do use on rare occasions with dogs, therefore this is not an outright poisoning. As well, doses for dogs are just under this level. Therefore, we are not likely to see any issue at all. Of course, if she is light for her breed, we could see drooling, muscle twitching and depression.

Therefore, with this in mind, we do have a few options here. First, since the dose is likely to be in normal range, we can choose to monitor her for the next 24 hours. Otherwise, if it has been <2 hours, we could choose to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting, you can use plain soda crystals. You just want to take a small handful, mix it with water to make a paste, roll that into a ball, and put this right in the back of the throat for him to swallow. This usually will trigger vomiting. If it doesn't or you do not have soda crystals on hand, then you can have him seen urgently by your local ER vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively (and for any ingestion up to 8 hours ago), you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is a small dose and likely in normal range for a dog her size. Therefore, if anything we could see those aforementioned signs for Millie. Therefore, we can choose one of the above options for her. Of course, if she could have had more, is a very small dog, or show the above signs, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet for symptomatic care.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)