Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Had a litter of 3 pups 6 months ago. Has urinary distress

Customer Question

Bitch had a litter of 3 pups 6 months ago. Has urinary distress and probably discomfort.Also loss of spirit, energy,etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bella.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to chat. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify "urinary distress" for me, please? In most cases that implies stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine which suggests a simple bacterial urinary tract infection in most cases in a young dog such as Bella. There shouldn't be a relationship to her whelping 6 months ago. Bella's initial testing should involve a urinalysis performed on urine obtained by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall. If bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells are seen in the urine, her vet has the option of prescribing a broad spectrum antibiotic expected to be effective or performing a bacterial culture and sensitivity on the urine in order to identify the specific bacteria involved and the best antibiotic for addressing those bacteria. A culture and sensitivity is especially important if Bella's urine is quite dilute. Such urine poses the problem of our seeing small numbers of bacteria or blood cells in a urinalysis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.