Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I think the circulation to my dogs ear was cut off by a

Customer Question

I think the circulation to my dogs ear was cut off by a rubber banded hair bow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Without question, I would get in to a vet immediately to have the ear flap (pinnae) evaluated. Even if swelling is reducing and it visibly appears to be improving, there is a risk for necrotic tissue to develop that was deprived of oxygen. In addition, there could be a risk for infection. Plus, the vet can offer some pain medication and/or anti-inflammatory medication to help Bella out.

Definitely, because there is little that can be done at home to prevent any infection or possibility of tissue death, well worth at least the vet check, and I would really avoid a wait and see approach.

Hope that information helps